Sunday, December 21, 2008

Merry xmas Bob Marley


As I am one member of an 8 piece ska band, I remember to stop and give thanks to those who made it possible for me to play ska.
I always tell people who ask me about ska
to read the Bob Marley story.
This is one conversation I had:

Dem-So...what IS ska anyway, like...ya know?
Me-Ya ever read the Bob Marley story?
Dem-The WHOLE story, I mean...
Me-READ it!!
Dem- Well, I dunno if I have the time to...
Me-Just ...fuckin' read it and stop askin' me! Plus if you go to his site you can listen to his songs
while you read!
Dem- Well...I dunno if...
Me- (Silent scream inside my head)
... then I start to beat them unmercifully with invisible mind bullets, kicking them in their thoughts with my brain foot...and walk away.

It's no use to tell people about ska anymore. It's an in crowd thing anyway. If you don't know by now, then I guess....whatever. But the Bob Marley story is a crucial part of SKA history.
He made the fork in the road with the music. What Bob Marley kept, he called reggae. Which is what you can sing with a Jamaican accent.
What he left in his historic wake for anyone to sing was the roots of reggae music.

The Ska.
So thanks Bob...for the Ska and Reggae music.


your friendly cyberhood
Uncle Samurai

Note: I'm not crediting the entire ska/reggae music to the honorable Bob Marley,
just thanking him for his part...which is immense, I might add...
K bye



No comments: